The GHG Market 2015/16 report went to press in early November, emphasising the theme of “Making Waves”. Our vision was positive, that messages emanating from Paris in support of carbon pricing could change the world. We stand in solidarity with those in Paris and around the world, mourning the events of 13 November. We intend to redouble our support for cooperation of governments and stakeholders to prove that dialogue and diplomacy are the strongest wave of the future, not violence and terror.
IETA is pleased to release the 12th Edition of Greenhouse Gas Market Report, entitled Making Waves.
If you have any questions about the publication, please do not hesitate to contact Katie Kouchakji (email@example.com).
The full GHG Market 2015 is available to download here .
The Executive Summary is available for download here .
Full contents of GHG Market 2015: Making Waves
- Opening statement – Dirk Forrister, President and CEO, IETA
- The ripple effect – Fred Krupp, President, Environmental Defense Fund and Nathaniel Keohane, Vice President, Environmental Defense Fund
- Comparison and linkage of heterogeneous mitigation systems in the Paris regime – Joseph Aldy, Harvard Kennedy School; Robert Stowe,Harvard Project on Climate Agreements; Bianca Sylvester, World Bank
- From a tiny ripple – Katie Kouchakji, IETA
THE FIRST WAVE
RIDING THE WAVE
- Lessons from riding the wave: memo to policy-makers
- The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative in 2015 – and beyond – Katie Dykes, RGGI Board of Directors
- California: climate change leadership worth following – Dorothy Rothrock, CMTA
- Safeguards and incentives for cross-border mitigation: lessons from JI – Hanna-Mari Ahonen, Swedish Energy Agency and Kari Hamekoski, NEFCO
- Expanding REDD+ finance – Robert O’Sullivan, Winrock International
- The business of Direct Action – Cameron Reid, AGL
- Building a Korean ETS for the future – Sungwoo Kim and Hyoungchan Kim, KPMG
- A call to action – Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, Ontario
- Case study: linking the Swiss and EU ETS – Dominik Englert, First Climate
THE NEXT WAVE
- Lessons for the next wave: memo to policy-makers
- Attention à Paris – Richard Chatterton, BNEF
- Value of international trading partnerships – Richard Richels and Steven Rose, EPRI
- Spurring carbon pricing through public-private dialogue – Dan Barry, BP and Pierre Guigon, World Bank
- China: the emissions trading tidal wave – Jeff Swartz, IETA
- Climate markets and Africa – Geoff Sinclair, Additional Energy
- Check-up: Green Climate Fund – Katie Sullivan, IETA
- Carbon markets and climate finance – Gernot Wagner, Environmental Defense Fund
- Putting a price on carbon, one jurisdiction at a time – Tom Kerr, IFC
- The US: preparing for trading – Tom Lawler, Lawler Strategies and Cameron Prell, Crowell & Moring
- Flying into the future – Megan Flynn and Alec Kibblewhite, Qantas
- Taiwan: laying the foundation for a carbon market – Hui-Chen Chien, Robert Shi and Wen-Cheng Hu, ITRI
- Aligning decarbonisation with competitiveness imperatives – Emilie Alberola, Lara Dahan and Matthieu Jalard, I4CE
- Less is more – Emil Dimantchev and Marcus Ferdinand, Thomson Reuters
- Getting serious with carbon pricing policy – Jonathan Grant, PwC and David Hone, Shell
IETA expresses its gratitude to all authors who have contributed to this publication, to the editorial committee, and all others who have worked on the publication.
2015/2016 EDITORIAL COMMITTEE
Jessica Butts, Delphi Group
Patrick Burgi, South Pole Group
Richard Gledhill, IETA Fellow
Rhey Lee, Climate Action Reserve
Russel Mills, DOW
Tanya Morrison, Shell
Charles Purshouse, Camco Clean Energy
Jennifer Smokelin, Reed Smith
Jon Williams, PwC
Hitman Creative Media Inc.
IETA would also like to thank our sponsors, Shell, AEP, AitherCO2, EcoWay, EEX and GLOBE Series.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies. Our headquarters in The Hague, the Netherlands. The parent company of the Shell group is Royal Dutch Shell plc, which is incorporated in England and Wales. Our strategy seeks to reinforce our position as a leader in the oil and gas industry in order to provide a competitive shareholder return while helping to meet global energy demand in a responsible way. In Upstream, we focus on exploring for new oil and gas reserves and developing major projects where our technology and know-how adds value to the resource holders. In Downstream, our emphasis remains on sustained gas generation from our existing assets and selective investments in growth markets.
Contact: Tanya Morrison, Government Relations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
American Electric Power
At American Electric Power (AEP),we dedicate ourselves to providing reliable, affordable service and shareholder value, with a continued focus on safety. AEP has a strong tradition of leadership, service and contributions to the communities we serve. Our Mission: Bringing comfort to our customers, supporting business and commerce, and building strong communities.
We own nearly 38,000 megawatts of generating capacity, more than 40,000-miles of electricity transmission network, and more than 765 kilovolt extra-high voltage transmission lines than all other U.S. transmission systems combined. Our major businesses include regulated utility operations
, power generation
, AEP energy partners
, and river operations
AEP is one of the largest electric utilities in the U.S., serving over 5 million customers in 11 states.
Contact: Dale E. Heydlauff, Vice President-Corporate Communications, email@example.com
AitherCO2 is a provider of financial services to the world’s environmental and energy markets offering consultancy and trading solutions supporting companies subject to compliance as well as in the voluntary sector.
AitherCO2 was founded by a group of professionals active in the financial sector and in particular in the commodity and environmental markets.
We support companies subject to regulatory obligations as well as those operating voluntarily in the environmental markets to deal with administration, deadlines, registries, regulation changes and balance sheet optimization of allocated units. We provide market access for industrial and aviation clients both on the regulated exchanges as well as through our vast counterparty network
Contact: Jacopo Visetti, Carbon Trading and Finance, firstname.lastname@example.org
EcoWay is a global consulting firm in the field of climate change. Our goal is simple: to help our clients improve their performance and competitiveness through the management of CO2 as a commodity.
Thanks to our team of professionals, EcoWay has developed a specific, multidisciplinary know-how regarding the integrated policies for the correct application of the rules of the Kyoto Protocol and of Emissions Trading, as well as the positioning strategies for companies on green issues, both in terms of brand and product.
In order to ensure this approach, EcoWay has built partnerships with national and international companies and organisations in the financial, scientific research, marketing and communication sectors.
Contact: Andrea Ronchi, Business Development Manager, email@example.com
European Energy Exchange (EEX)
European Energy Exchange (EEX) is the leading energy exchange in Europe. It develops, operates and connects secure, liquid and transparent markets for energy and related products on which power, natural gas, CO2 emission allowances, coal and guarantees of origin are traded. Clearing and settlement of all trading transactions are provided by the clearing house European Commodity Clearing (ECC).
EEX continuously broadens its product range to include further products and services. Through its shareholding in Cleartrade Exchange (CLTX), it additionally offers the markets for freight, iron ore, fuel oil and fertilisers. EEX is a member of Eurex Group.
Contact: Katrin Berken, Head of Corporate Communications & Marketing, Katrin.Berken@eex.com
For the past 25 years, the GLOBE™ Series has served as the nexus for global networking and leadership on the business of the environment.
GLOBE 2016 Conference & Innovation Expo (GLOBE 2016), is the next GLOBE event within the iconic GLOBE Series, North America’s largest and longest-running Conference and Exposition series dedicated to business innovation for the planet. A world-leading sustainability GLOBE Conference coupled with an exciting GLOBE Innovation Exposition, GLOBE™ is about relationship building to fuel your business. It’s about thinking outside the box. It’s where leaders come to devise winning strategies to conserve resources, ignite innovation, and develop ideas and partnerships that help them be more resilient, more efficient, and reduce risk.
Contact: Mike Gerbis, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org